Time for another sweet treat featuring the lovely fall favorite – apples!
This would be good for days when you are still hungry because you didn’t eat enough for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- 1 Apple (I used Honeycrisp)
- 2 tsp Almond Butter
- 2 tsp Sliced Almonds
- 8 Milk Chocolate Chips Chopped (dark works too)
- 1/8 tsp Valencia Orange Peel (McCormick Gourmet – found in spices at store or use zest of one orange)
- Slice apple thin to make your sandwich “bread”. I cut about 8 pieces from one apple.
- Place 1/2 tsp almond butter one slice and repeat on half your apple pieces.
- Place 1/2 tsp almonds on each buttered piece and divide choc chips among those slices.
- Sprinkle orange peel over apples & top with the remaining plain apple slices to make your sandwiches.
- Servings: 1
- Calories: 214
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated Fat: 4g (omit chocolate chips to lower saturated fat content to 3g)
- Polyunsaturated Fat: .7g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Carbs: 42.3g
- Fiber: 11.6g
- Sugar: 26g (omit chocolate chips to lower sugar content)
- Protein: 15.7g
- Calcium: 20.6%
- Iron: 16.2%
- Vitamin C: 20%
- Apples: Good source of fiber & vitamin C. Always leave skin on, the skin of an apple has 3-4x more phytonutrients than the flesh. Phytonutrients are compounds found in plants that help prevent diseases, and there are over 100,000 different phytonutrients available in various fruits, vegetables, tea leaves, and beans.
- Almonds: rich source of Vitamin E & B2, biotin, manganese, copper, magnesium & lowers LDL cholesterol & risk of heart disease.
- Orange Peel: I only found a couple studies actually done on orange peel, so don’t go crazy putting it on everything. There was a study from the Journal of Agriculture & Chemistry that says it may lower cholesterol levels better than prescription drugs.
*Health benefits sourced from whfoods and nutrition facts websites. Please contact your physician or registered dietitian to see if these foods are appropriate for your diet.