Eat plenty of red veggies such as tomatoes, beets, rainbow chard, red potatoes, red peppers, red cabbage, red leaf lettuce, radicchio, radishes, prickly pear, and rhubarb to get in a rich source of antioxidants such as lycopene (tomatoes), beta carotene, and Vitamin C.
This smoothie has beets, rainbow chard (red), & red raspberries to give it this extra bright red punch.
Eat the rainbow!
Red Veg Smoothie Recipe
- 2 raw organic beets (use cooked if you don’t have a high powered blender)
- 2 large organic rainbow chard leaves (I used red leaves with stems)
- 4 organic broccoli crowns
- 1/4 cup organic frozen raspberries
- 1 organic mandarin orange
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp high quality vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- Blend all ingredients first in low for about 30 seconds moving to high speed for 1/2 minutes.
- Calories: 171
- Fat: 2.9g
- Total Carbs: 29.9g
- Fiber: 10.9g
- Protein: 5g
- Calcium: 34.7%
- Iron: 19.3%
- Potassium: 1251.8mg
- Vitamin A: 53.3%
- Vitamin C: 247.5%
- Beets: contain betalains which are an antioxidant and anti inflammatory food and are cancer fighting & fiber rich.
- Rainbow Chard: chard has one of the highest mineral ratings of excellent (spinach and broccoli are higher) rich in Vitamins K, A, C, E, magnesium, and more!
- Broccoli: Vitamins K,C,B6, B2, folate, fiber & more and is one of your most nutrient cruciferous veggies.
- Red Raspberries: can help in obesity management, antioxidant support, and can help fight cancers. You’ll get the most nutrients by buying fully ripe raspberries.
- Flaxseeds: your number one source for omega-3 fats at 133% for a 2 tablespoon serving.
- Allspice: can act as a pain reliever, mood booster, helps eliminate fungal infections & more.
*Note: Always consult with your doctor or registered dietitian to make sure these fruits and veggies are right for you. I get most of my information from WHFoods website, Nutrition Facts with Dr. Michael Greger, and Harvard’s Nutrition Source. It is just meant for your information and that’s it.