These little sweet treats are meant for days you just want to eat something sweet. They do have butter. They do have sugar, but not in the muffin – just on top. They do have milk, and I don’t know if a dairy free alternative would work. BUT they are packed with whole wheat flour, flaxseeds, cinnamon, vanilla bean, and nutmeg.
Sweet Spiced Mini Muffins
- 1 cup 100% organic whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup fine pastry flour
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 vanilla bean seeds (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup organic milk
- 1/4 cup organic butter melted
Topping (use sparingly):
- 1/3 cup organic butter melted
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line mini muffin tins with paper liners.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Mix all wet ingredients together.
- Combine wet & dry ingredients and mix slowly until just moistened (batter can be slightly lumpy).
- Spoon batter into muffin liners filling 3/4 full (a cookie scoop works great too).
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Let cool. Mix the topping sugar & cinnamon together & melt remaining butter.
- Dip muffin top in melted butter sparingly and then dip in sugar mixture.
- Number of servings: 23
- Calories per serving (1 muffin): 66
- Total Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Total Carbs: 9.6g
- Sugar: .3g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1.4g
- Calcium: 4.2%
- Iron: 2%
- Potassium: 18mg
- Vitamin A: 1.4%
- Flaxseeds: always buy ground flaxseeds, otherwise they may not break down in your body. They are a great source of healthy omega-3 fats, antioxidants, and fiber. They have cardiovascular, digestive, menopausal, & anti inflammatory benefits.
- Cinnamon: a rich source of manganese & help control blood sugar levels.
- Nutmeg: has powerful antibacterial & anti diarrheal properties but use sparingly. Too much could lead to hallucinations and headaches in some people.
- Vanilla Bean: enhances brain health and mood with magnesium and potassium. Vanilla extract can provide health benefits too (all depends on quality of the product). Vanilla is super pricey right now though, so again, a good quality product is the only way to get the actual health benefits.
- Whole Wheat Flour: another ingredient you have to look at quality control. A high quality whole wheat flour provides vitamins and minerals such as manganese, magnesium, fiber, and more to help regulate blood sugars, and lower risk of heart disease & certain cancers.