Lemony Pea Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups organic veggie or chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen organic peas thawed
- 1 can organic cannellini beans
- 1 organic shallot diced
- 1 bunch basil, mint, & Italian Parsley chopped
- Juice & zest of 2 organic meyer lemons
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa in broth instead of water and follow directions accordingly,
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours and enjoy!
- Sliced Almonds or Walnuts for texture.
Nutrition Facts (without nuts):
Serving size: 4
- Calories: 362
- Total Fat: 6.3g
- Total Carbs: 49.9g
- Fiber: 12.4g
- Protein: 15.3g
- Calcium: 9.5%
- Iron: 28.5%
- Vitamin A: 14.9%
- Vitamin C: 24.2%
- Quinoa: a seed (though often called a whole grain) that is a good source of plant protein (8 grams per cooked cup), and fiber (5 grams per cooked cup) and is gluten free.
- Peas: promote vision & eye health, lower risk of stomach cancer and developing type 2 diabetes, contain omega 3 fats, and are excellent sources of Vitamin K, manganese, and Vitamin B1 (to name a few).
- Cannellini Beans: good at lowering risk of heart attack and cholesterol due to their high fiber content, also high in copper, folate, iron, and more. The iron will boost your energy and the good source of Vitamin B1 will help maintain your memory as you age. Note: they can trigger migraine in some people.
- Shallots: member of the onion family that may lower risk of developing certain diseases, cancers, or diabetes, and is an excellent source of Vitamin A, potassium, and folate.
- Basil: have DNA protection and antibacterial properties.
- Mint: has many properties – treats bad breath, improves digestion, reduces fever and even stress to make a few.
- Italian Parsley: improves immune function, beats inflammation, and fights certain cancers & disease.
- Meyer Lemon: are a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange, are packed with Vitamin C, and have antioxidant and antibiotic effects.