Pinto Bean & Fire Roasted Tomato Stew
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 15 Minutes Servings: 3
(Use organic whenever possible)
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/3 cup organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bunch rainbow swiss chard leaves torn into bite size pieces
- 1 (15 oz) can organic pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can organic diced fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1-2 fresh organic limes juice & zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 oz. Crumbled organic goat cheese (omit to lower fat content)
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf organic Italian parsley
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth, swiss Chard, and season with salt and pepper; cover and cook about 4 minutes.
- Mix in pinto beans, tomatoes, lime juice, and a little more salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook until the chard is wilted (approximately 4 more minutes).
- Turn off heat and add goat cheese and parsley.
- Calories: 332
- Total Fat 14.2
- Saturated Fat: 6.8 (omit goat cheese to cut saturated fat content)
- Sodium: 1200 mg
- Total Carbs: 35.1g
- Fiber: 9.8g
- Protein: 17.5g
- Calcium 16.3%
- Iron: 19.9%
- Potassium: 16.5mg
- Vitamin A: 49.2%
- Vitamin C: 65.6%
- Swiss Chard: Rich in vitamin K, magnesium, and calcium for bone health. Vitamins A, C, and E, manganese, and zinc for antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Pinto Beans: High in fiber and folate to help reduce cholesterol for heart health and maintain blood sugar levels.
- Fire Roasted Tomatoes: Rich in lycopene for its antioxidant properties and for bone health.
- Garlic: A good source of manganese, vitamin B6, and copper for cardiovascular health, antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Lime: Rich in vitamin C for antioxidant health.
- Red pepper flakes: Good source if vitamin A for anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Parsley: Rich in vitamins K, A, & C.
- Extra virgin olive oil: Rich in Vitamin E for anti-inflammatory benefits and heart health.