This has been my go-to breakfast lately for sustainable energy. Don’t forget to add a half cup of berries on the side to up the fiber & antioxidant goodness!
Eggs & Greens Breakfast Recipe
- 2 eggs
- Cooking spray (olive oil spray is my favorite)
- Handful of dark, leafy greens (spinach, kale, or swiss chard are my 3 favorites).
- 1 slice sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon Dijon
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp Tumeric powder
- 1/8- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8-1/4 tsp dried parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toast Sourdough bread (on a lighter setting)
- Spray pan with cooking spray for 1 second.
- Cook 2 eggs over easy or over medium making sure whites are set.
- Spread Dijon on toast and place fresh greens of choice on top (spinach is shown in photo).
- Sprinkle eggs with tumeric, paprika, salt, pepper & parsley and slide eggs onto spinach toast.
- Dark, leafy greens (such as spinach, kale, & chard): depending on variety, are a good sources of vitamin A, C, K, manganese, iron, folate, fiber, calcium and potassium.
- Tumeric: can potentially reduce risk of heart disease, certain cancers, Alzheimer’s, & improve symptoms of depression & arthritis.
- Smoked paprika: good for skin health & vision, & helps prevent hair loss, infections, certain cancers, & potentially useful in treatment for diabetes.
Nutrition Facts (with spinach):
- Calories: 295
- Total Fat:12.8g
- Total Carbs: 26.8g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Calcium: 88.6%
- Iron: 14.9%
- Vitamin A: 303.5%
- Vitamin C: 9.7%
- Consult with your physician before starting a new nutrition program.
- You can add up to 1/4 tsp of each spice safely for your diet each day, BUT always talk to with your doctor if these spices are right for you to eat on a regular basis.
- Adding a half cup of blueberries and an unsweetened almond milk latte (my go-to morning caffeine) increase the calorie count to around 430 calories.